We're celebrating International Women's Day this Friday - are you on board?
Employers across New Zealand are joining this year's campaign for International Women's Day. Whether that's by displaying campaign leaflets in the workplace, wearing the campaign colour - purple, demonstrating diversity in new initiatives - the list goes on.
What is International Women's Day?
International Women's Day (March 8) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity.
International Women's Day (IWD) has occurred for well over a century, with the first IWD gathering in 1911 supported by over a million people in Austria, Denmark, Germany and Switzerland. Prior to this the Socialist Party of America, United Kingdom's Suffragists and Suffragettes, and further groups campaigned for women's equality.
The day aimed to help nations worldwide eliminate discrimination against women. It also focused on helping women gain full and equal participation in global development.
International Men's Day is also celebrated on November 19 each year.
Are you a Prime Employer for Women?
The achievement of women in the workplace is one of the areas celebrated on Friday and recognising employers who go actively out of their way to support them. They have to meet a criteria covering 10 points.
Does your business fulfill any of the following:
- demonstrates executive leadership commitment to gender equality
- embraces a culture of diversity and inclusion
- forges a female hiring pipeline from early career to executive level
- values and supports flexible working arrangements
- provides formal avenues to address any concerns of discrimination
- ensures women's inclusion from supply chain through to decision making
- ensures marketing and communications are consistently free from bias
- extends external support for women's advancement
- monitors progress and outcomes from equality initiatives and activity
- maintains external validation of progressive employer practice
Companies recognised for their dedicated careers website for women include: Schneider Electric, AEOM, Oracle, Honeywell, Vodafone, McDonalds and Amazon.
International Women's Day 2019
This year's campaign message surrounds 'Balance'.
A spokesperson for International Women's Day explains: "The future is exciting. Let's build a gender-balanced world. Everyone has a part to play - all the time, everywhere. From grassroots activism to worldwide action, we are entering an exciting period of history where the world expects balance. We notice its absence and celebrate its presence. Balance drives a better working world. Let's all help create a #BalanceforBetter."
If you would like further information about how your organisation can get involved, visit: internationalwomensday.com